The Heacock Flock


Saturday, July 16, 2011

Where did summer go?

I knew I would have a hard time keeping up with summer activities, I never thought I would completely abandon the blog for almost 2 months!  In terms of weather, summer didn't really start until mid to late July and now we are in September and having 80 degree days.  I am just now transitioning into fall and realizing I have a lot of catching up to do on the blog, on housework, and on my to-do list. So, this post will simply summarize summer, what we did and what we are doing!

There were a lot of great things that happened this summer.  Our chickens are great and we average around 6 or 7 eggs a day!  Jamon has really stepped up and taken on the care of the chickens.  It's been a neat lesson for him.  The garden did okay.  I was able to can quite a big of green beans, shred some zucchini for future zucchini bread, enjoyed a few tomatoes, picked a few raspberries, but the highlight was the carrots.  The kids ate freshly picked carrots almost daily.  It was amazing!

As I reflect on the summer of 2011, I really just think of my kids playing and time spent with family both near and far. We didn't take any major trips, no major projects, just a lot of playing, s'more eating, sandbox digging, and overall childhood fun.  Jamon really mastered the pumping of his legs on the swing and even Josie learned how to pump her little legs.  I remember standing in the kitchen and hearing Jamon yell:  "mom watch me!"  I stood there watching him swing with a smile on my face.  I enjoyed watching him swing probably more than he did.  It's the greatest thing as a parent to watch your children achieve something, even as little as swinging really fast.

This summer I also realized that Jolie is quickly entering the toddler years.  She desperately wants to follow Jamon and Josie and hasn't realized that she is substantially smaller and is physically unable to do some of the things they are doing.  Both Josie and Jolie possess an incredible amount of perseverance.  I am sure it will be useful later in life.  Right now, it leads to a lot of tears and frustration.  Although toddler years bring a lot of daily challenges, they also bring a lot of sweet moments.  I love how she says "wuv you" or squeezes my neck and holds on for hugs.  She is such a little sponge absorbing everything she hears and sees and what a little parrot.  Every day she is adding more and more words to her vocabulary.  It'll be interesting to hear her and Josie in a few years...
Wildlife Safari is pretty amazing.  We were fortunate to go on a day that wasn't too warm.  The kids loved it.  They didn't love taking these pictures though. 

This summer was full of fun and adventure for Jamon.  He often got to skip naps and go with dad or the rest of the men to do work.  This is him fishing at Lava Lake. He woke up at 4a.m. to go.

This first picture is of Josie getting her first big girl  hair cut.  The middle picture is of her helping me at Winco.  I love how her sunglasses are upside down.  So Josie like.  And lastly, maybe my favorite picture of her this summer.  This is Josie on her first daddy/daughter date.  He took her out to breakfast and as she would say:  "something sepal."  She loves eggs, pampakes, sausage, and o.j. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment