The Heacock Flock


Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Adoption Cost Breakdown

Adoption is hard.  In every way it's hard.  Today, I'm talking about why adoption is financially hard.  A lot of people hear that adoption, especially international, is expensive.  However, most people don't know what goes into the adoption process that has made it a lucrative expense and has discouraged many from adopting.  Here is a rough, unprofessional, first time adopting , here's what I've learned break down of international adoption, specifically from China.  I can tell you that a lot of the cost depends on the country from which you adopt.


CHINA ADOPTION COST BREAKDOWN
Agency Application Fee $300

Program/Agency Fees $8,500-$9,000

Homestudy Fee $1,800

I800 fees $800

Vital Records necessary for homestudy/dossier $200

Airfare/In Country travel expenses $8,500-$9,500 for 2 people 

Orphanage Donation $5,600

Truly, these are just the big picture items. This list is not an exhaustive or complete list.  I'm forgetting the passport fees, gifts to take to the orphanage, the shipping fees for all the documents, medical exams, all the documents being notarized & overnighted, and a list of things I haven't even experienced for in country expenses! I have never met a family who has said "we have plenty of money so we are going to adopt."  Almost every single story is a story of a family who is stepping out in faith and responding to a call put on their hearts.  Every family is relying on God to work through His people to be part of His plan.  And I have learned that when I am proud and think I can do everything on my own, I'm stealing God's glory and what He's doing at work in His people.  I read a Corrie Ten Boom quote, "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."  God is faithful.  God is good.  My God reigns.  



No comments:

Post a Comment