The Heacock Flock


Thursday, June 30, 2011

Jamon turns 5!

It's hard to believe that Jamon is 5.  Before I had kids I thought that five-year-olds seemed so old.  And now I have a 5 year old.  Hard to believe.  It's so cliche to say, but I still remember being overdue.  Very overdue.  I remember being induced at 6 a.m. at McKenzie Willamette Hospital.  It was beautiful outside.  And at 6:12p.m. Jamon Lee Heacock changed my life forever.  I never could have imagined the boy he's become today and it's exciting to see the man he's becoming. 

At 5 years old, Jamon loves to practice basketball.  He could dribble and shoot for hours.  It amazes me at his personal drive to meet a challenge.  It's a neat quality to see in a child and I am thrilled when I see him accomplish a goal.  For example, he has been practicing for a few weeks at the monkey bars.  Finally, one day he spent about 20 minutes trying. That's a long time on monkey bars!  Finally he made it all the way across and the look of pride on his face almost brought tears to my eyes.  Anyway, other than playing outside, Jamon is a voracious reader.  He will read anything:  cereal boxes, cards, food labels, books, mail, street signs etc.  It's very exciting.

So this morning I woke Jamon up and said:  "Good morning.  It's your birthday!"
Jamon replied,  "It is?  I made it!"
I didn't know there was any doubt, but nonetheless he made it to 5.  His Aunt Jennifer asked him he grew any and he very seriously said:  "I think a little."

Jamon looks up to his dad and Papas more than anything else.  They are amazing role models.  I think there are few things that are more important to a child than a strong relationship with their father and I am so blessed that Jamon has very involved Papas and a Great-Grandpa (Papa Jack).  Jamon loves hunting and camouflage.  Thus, we had a hunting party.  I made orange felt safety vests and the cake pops were green and brown.  Jeremiah and cousin Jim hid ducks in the trees and set up the deer that Uncle Josh made.  The kids put on their safety vests and went hunting around our backyard and shot wooden guns with rubber bands.  It was so much fun.

Before today's party I was reminiscing about each of Jamon's birthday parties.  How much he's changed and matured each year and the way he continues to impress me.  He is so intelligent, kind-hearted, determined and the best big brother to Josie and Jolie.  He is a natural leader.  He is a good friend to others.  He is responsible. He loves reading his bible and does not hesitate to tell others about Jesus.  Jamon is keeping me accountable, encouraging me to know Jesus better, and is showing me how much fun motherhood can be.  All this from a 5 year old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment